new words

winter has set in here in pittsburgh,
everyone who knows me, knows i HATE HATE HATE winter..
give me the beach any day!

well..it's cold and snowing and the wind is blowing...so i am staying in and catching up on my reading.

did you know that every year they add new words to the dictionary???
well...been reading my aarp magazine..(yeah...i'm THAT old)
and they had an article this month with all the new words and/or new definitions. being a word person...and using dictionaries in my art...

i found it very interesting..

'friend' was added as a verb...to add to a list of personal associates on a website. hmm....sound facebookish to me...

also.. unfriend...also verb...obvious definition..

amazing how facebook has changed so many aspects of our lives...even new definitions ?? crazy huh?

'hater' is one i have heard a few friends use...it means a negative person...(as in..i'm a facebook hater)..sounds like bad english to me...kind of like i 'heart' you...blah......(also added new definition.. to like very much...are you kidding me???

how about 'pimp'...new definition...to make something more showy or impressive...like pimp my ride...too funny for me..


another one was 'buzzkill'..now this one really floors me...i am a child of the 60's and 70's so this is a word i myself used quite a bit.ahem...heard in my day....funny how they have just now made it a REAL word..

their definition is ...person or thing that has a depressing effect....maybe it took them this long to come up with a non drug related definition...hmm...in my day..it meant about the same thing, but literally killing your buzz..(maybe i should work for websters)

some were expected...like 'tweet', or 'viral'...'staycation' (did that myself last year..remember the yurt?)  ..everyone knows those...

but how about 'matchy matchy'..yeah..haha..a REAL word...definition: excessively color coordinated.

and LBD...which i have only recently picked up on tv...little black dress...(i dont like that one...sounds dumb to me..)

others...exit stategy....know that one, frenemy..know that one..
bromance...even know that one..


but for the record there were a number of them i never heard of...

you can check them all out here:
new word list

well i must say..i dont know...but i think we may be getting dumber as a society...most of these words are simple mixes of other words, like we are too lazy to even say out a whole sentence...kind of like texting shorthand...

we may be doing our children a disservice with all the 'easier' ways to say things.....

i'm just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

we always appreciate your voice........

Featured Post

The Finishing Touch

I got my love of creating years ago, when I was just a kiddo.  My gramma knitted. I found it so fascinating that she created something .. ...

Popular Posts